Did you know flossing is essential to your oral health? Yes, it’s true! Flossing helps fight against the threat of gum disease and cavities. Furthermore, dental floss can also help keep your teeth clean and white. When your dentist, Dr. Thomas Puschak with Family Dentistry in Lexington, Massachusetts, suggests flossing, there are many good reasons why which include your dentist trying to help your oral health stay in tip-top shape.
To help you understand why flossing is important to your oral health, consider these facts:
– Every day it is recommended you floss between your teeth. Make sure to floss between each and every tooth and do not forget any gaps. The average time it should take you to floss per day is roughly 3 minutes.
– For help determining which type of flosser you should use, speak with your dentist about product recommendations.
– Never use the same strand of floss or section of the strand for more than one tooth. This is because by doing so you can cause recontamination.
– Gently clean between each tooth with a c shape motion so that it can reach all sides and areas between teeth.
– To prevent your floss from tearing when using it, use a shred-resistant floss. Single filament thread will not tear.
– If you struggle and have difficulties with traditional floss, try switching to a water flosser. Water flossers use jets of water to clean between your teeth.
As you can see, dental floss is an aid in your oral health and keeping your smile beautiful. If you have questions about your oral health, please call us today at 781-863-8333 to schedule a checkup. Our dental team cares about your smile and is proud to give you the high-quality care you deserve.